Meteorologists consider winter to be from December through February for record keeping purposes. The normal snow fall for that period here in Nyack is 21 inches. This winter saw only 3.6 inches.
How To Prevent Frozen Pipes
With freezing temperatures upon us it is important to make sure the pipes in your home do not freeze. The following techniques might help:
1. Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
2. Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
3. When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
4. Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
5. If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
Click here to see the listings of energy efficient homes for sale in Rockland.
I am a proud Nyack resident with over 10 years of experience in real estate. I developed a real passion for this industry when I got my first apartment at age 24, and since then have became the owner/....
Latest Blog Posts
A perennial favorite, Nyack’s nesting pair of falcons have discovered and started to use the new nesting box on the southern face of the east bound span closest to Westchester. The new nest is